Saturday, October 02, 2004

Guest Blogger?

Thanks to Nisht, I will be guest blogging a bit while he is away. I don't know how long this gig will last, but I appreciate the opportunity. Please do not ask me questions about Nisht, as, I know Nisht about Nisht. Except, of course, that he is an uncommonly kind to allow me to blog on his site. I hope to be able to live up to his expectations(although, I have no idea what they are). Due to professional hours, posts will be somewhat irregular. Now that all is clear as mud, lets get down to business.

Who am I? A somewhat computer illiterate professional, with a wonderful family, did not grow up in the usual Orthodox cities(or circles), have trouble naming the five towns, but care tremendously about Yiddishkeit, Israel, middot, and all the usual stuff. Feel free to comment .....PLEASE?

First Issue. Tzedakkah

I am visited yearly by a Meshulach from a well know out of town Yeshiva, and in previous years I gave generously. In the past 2 years there appeared in print articles written by the Rosh Yeshiva disparaging women's learning gemara. Please dont send me marei mekommot, I know them. However, this is not my Hashkafa, and having a few kids of the female kind, it bothered me to be supporting an institution where their gemara learning was belittled by the Rosh Yeshiva. So, last year, I avoided the Meshulach(I did teshuva for it, don't worry). This year, I discussed the issue with him. He told me the Hashkafa of the Rosh Yeshiva wasn't neccessarily what was being taught to the 'boys', and they 'boys' would not neccessarily graduate with the same hashkafa. I felt a bit guilty for questioning a Rav and talmid chacham, and gave him about half what I usually did. (last year I took the money that would have gone to the Yeshiva and sent it to Nishmat).

Question: should we suport causes that teach a Hashkafa that we dont agree with? and more, that says specifically that what we are doing is wrong?




Comments-[ comments.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter by TrafficFile.com Site Meter Add http://houseofhock.blogspot.com to your Kinja digest