Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Cosmopolitans & Provincials

A friend of mine once commented that he thought that the worse mistake one could have is to be provincial. Because if you are Provincial you do not know if the path & choices that you have chosen are correct or not. I have spent several years thinking about this idea & am still not certain if I buy into it. On the one hand, I think that he is correct that many people are limited because of limited exposure to anything beyond what they grew up with. But, on the other hand, as Wordsworth put it:
Nuns fret not in their convents narrow room....

And furthermore I am reminded of Rebbe Nachman's story of The Simpleton & the Sophisticate. So these matters are not so clear. However, to be honest, I prefer the company of the Sophisticated over the Simple.

Comments-[ comments.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter by TrafficFile.com Site Meter Add http://houseofhock.blogspot.com to your Kinja digest